Monday, September 12, 2005

Wedding Du Jour, Part I

This weekend, Joe and I went to a wedding reception for Beau and his long-time girlfriend Jen. Beau is a friend of Joe's, by way of Josh, that he met through snowboarding.

They had a nice simple reception after their wedding at the top of the ski resort. Down in the lodge, drinks and a vegetable plate was served and then there was the toast. Friends of the couple delivered very sweet messages about the happy couple. And then there was grandpa. Don't get me wrong, he said very nice things about how happy he was to see the twosome marry. And then at the end, he gave a short prayer before everyone ate dinner, and slipped this one into the prayer:

"Thank you God, for making this crooked road straight."


Like, what the crap is that supposed to mean?! I was slightly annoyed at this, as I thought it was a tad back-handed. Just not appropriate, no matter how you felt about the marriage. Anyway, I then asked people at the table what they thought about it, and they agreed that it was very suspect.

I understand that it's a different generation. But people co-habitate prior to marriage now and it's completely acceptable. I don't think that anyone has a place to judge other people just because they mix up the order in which they do things. They're still good people on the inside.

I guess it annoyed me because it occurred to me that people probably think the same about Joe and I. In the end, we're doing things at our own pace and this is what we're comfortable with. For those that say that marriage is the beginning of a beautiful relationship for the rest of our lives...thanks but no thanks. This is the rest of our lives. Joe and I are already living it and have been for 6 years. I don't think any of this is a waste or a "preamble" to better times. We are living the good life right now as you are reading this.

Sorry Gramps, but this crooked road is happy just the way it is.

No comments: