Tuesday, September 27, 2005

I'll Get You My Pretty!!

Joe and I have agreed. We are doing Wizard of Oz this year for Halloween. I told him I wanted to do something scary for this year, so I will be the Wicked Witch of the West and he will be the flying monkey.

We've already run into costume problems. On Sunday, we went to Jo-Ann Fabrics to find a pattern and pick out fabric. We found a pattern that was "close enough" but we are having trouble with the fabric. We found what we wanted, but wouldn't it be typical that there wasn't enough of it to complete the costume. There aren't many fabric stores in the area, in fact that is the only widely known fabric store around. So we are a little worried that this won't work out.

I remember from my childhood a giant warehouse fabric store that my mom used to go to for remnants. She'd make blankets out of the remnants for the beds when we lived in the city. And then I remember my dad went there for vinyl to re-upholster the car interior. I'm hoping I can find the place and I'm hoping that it's still open, because that might be our last resource for the materials we need to make a flying monkey.

Time is running short, we'll have to devote lots of man hours to pull this off by the time Halloween comes around. And we don't want to disappoint everyone, I think people are starting to expect good costumes from us. In past years, we've done some very convincing and award winning costumes - both scary and funny, and couples costumes and separate. Here is the rundown of costumes we've had the past years. You'll see how each year seems to get more and more tricky. I sometimes wish we could go back to the simple costumes.

2004: Edward Scissorhands and Catwoman
2003: Willy Wonka and Oompa Loompa (the Gene Wilder version)
2002: Thug and Dead Bride
2001: Big Joe and Mardi Gras reveller

No comments: