Thursday, September 01, 2005

Living Below the Poverty Line

So this whole Hurricane Katrina thing turned out to be a disaster. I called my mom on Tuesday and asked her if she new anything about her cousins. Whether they stayed or left for higher ground. She said she hadn't talked to them in a while and didn't know what their plans were or whether they were even alive.

It sort of bothers me that people keep comparing this to other disasters that are totally different. Take for instance, the tsunami. There really is no comparison and besides, the conditions are completely different. For one thing, people in New Orleans are reminded every year through PSAs what to do in the event of natural disaster. America has an early warning system for hurricanes. America has insurance. America has looters. None of these were or are available in Indonesia. The only thing that is similar is the poverty and the water. And even then, the level of poverty is different. So really the only thing that is really the same is the water and the water crisis that they are having. The inability to tend to the dead is disparaging. And to think that there are bodies that belong to someone just trapped in an attic is very sad.

Years ago, when I was still a teen, I visited my sister before her graduation from UNO. It has great weather and a wonderful culture. Friendly people just trying to make an honest living. The food was out of this world. You knew you weren't in York PA anymore, it may as well be a different country. With a French and Spanish background, the place was truly a melting pot. Something that York is still 150 years behind on.

The day that I was in French Quarter there was a movie shoot that starred Patrick Swayze in what would then become the movie "Father Hood". I actually saw Patrick Swayze in person. It was kind of cool, of course I didn't really care for Swayze but whatever, I saw a bonfide star. Although the movies often shoot in New Orleans, I thought that they never did the city justice. It was more romantic, rustic, and mysterious than they ever made it out to be. And I'm glad that I have first hand personal memories to remember the city with.

So I suppose this goes out to you, Crescent City. May the beignets be warm again, the jazz fill the air again, and the bourbon pour freely again. Cheers!

2 comments:

Chuck Rizen said...

Re: The wedding.
Congratulations - I wish you every happiness.

Re: Your comments.
I risk your wrath at making these comments, but wish to share some insight with you.

Comments:
"Gramps" wasn't praying to you - he was praying to God. It is "Gramps" conviction that God does not see co-habitation as "perfectly acceptable".

Question:
If it is perfectly acceptable, then why the wedding?

Again - I do not invite your wrath - just your understanding. I believe in your bios that you like to think along the psychological. Then- roll these thoughts around a bit. Maybe then, you will be less hasseled by the prayer.

I am glad you are married. My wife and I have been together for 46 years. It has been entirely worth while. I am not a prude - having been a professional musician, I have seen just about all there is to see. I have been tempted - had I been just "co-habitating" it may have turned out differently. I'm glad it did not.

May God bless you with children - then may he help you to raise them with eternal values. Eternal values are values that do not change. I hope I have given you some food for thought.

God Bless your new home.
Chuck Rizen

P.S.
Along the psychological - For many years I have been guided by a lynchpin of truth. That lynchpin is "intellectual honesty". Here's what that means. Whenever I have a mental strain on a topic - whether financial, religious, personal, or any other domain, I try to apply steel cold, totally objective honesty to why I think what I think. It is, at first, very difficult. To be totally objective is probably impossible. So what I do is try to chip away at the margin of difference. It is very worthwhile. It takes you places you haven't been, and maybe some places you dont want to go. In the end, you become more acquainted with yourself than you ever thought possible.

Does this make you a better person? I think so. You may think not - and that is your perogative. It is a very interesting endeavor. The more you do this, the more you will find that your thoughts differ from everyone else (almost everyone else). Interestingly, you will also find that you really aren't concerned that you are at odds with every one because you will find that you will have compassion on them for not having found this amazing personal help tool for themselves. Even so, you will be reluctant to bounce in and share this thought with everyone, as you will find some resentment by those that you choose to share it with.

I suspect you know what I mean. That is why I have shared it with you.

Once again - God Bless you and your new life.

Chuck Rizen said...

Whoops - I read again about the wedding and realized that my comments were fragmented. The well wishing was intended for the new couple (the wedded pair). All other comments were to the blogger.

All comments are to anyone who is interested - including the newly wedded pair.