Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Chop Chop Master Onion

I was watching G4TV last night when they showed the new controller for the Nintendo. Like what?! How are you suppose to use that?? It's basically a remote control that you hold in one hand. So....how does this things work again? And why can't you use both hands? What was wrong with a controller that you use both hands for? I don't get it.

Anyway, my confusion somehow lead me to the game Parappa the Rapper. If you remember this raise your hand. It was an insanely addictive game where you have to keep up with the rapper and press the buttons as you were prompted. Sort of a Dance Dance Revolution for your hands.

Anyway, the addictive part were the characters and the raps that you were supposedly learning. For instance, level 1 you're learning from an onion-headed karate master how to chop, kick, punch, etc. I realized then that it was Shaggy's voice that was Master Onion. And somehow, it made it more catchy.

What was the point of the whole thing anyhow? I actually had to look this one up. You are Parappa and you are pining for a character Sunny. In order to win her affections, you have to learn how to rap (I know, when would this ever happen in real life?). So you have to pass all the levels and learn the different styles of rap in each level before you can impress Sunny.

Ahh, if only things were that easy...

1 comment:

Hollipop said...

I saw the new controller a couple weeks ago. Man. I'm gonna end up later in life being one of those loser moms who can't play video games.

The whole remote/roller ball thing, I just don't think my mind would work with that. Sean, of course, is psyched about it.

Remember the good ole days when there were only two buttons and a directional? And the screens were simple, so so non-motion-sickness simple. Everyone could all play Zelda, Mario, and Tetris, and we were happy damn it.

And what about the JOY STICK? It was just a stick, and we were JOYFUL about it! Amazed at the technology! What is this new and exciting entertainment device? Why, NOTHING could be better than THIS, those folks from the 70's proclaimed!

These damn kids and their new fangled ways.

Get off my lawn!