Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Football Hooligans

So Julie and I are both managing our own football fantasy teams. Not football football mind you. English football, er soccer, if you will. We had been doing this since I was still in college at Telegraph when it was still free. And they had the best site, the best graphics, and the most fun. But then it became pay to play. So we ditched Telegraph and haven't found a place to play until now.

So now we are playing Fantasy Football linked to football365. It's not as good in the graphics department, but it's gotten Jules and I back in the game. And this time, I'm beating her!

I've already had to transfer two players due to injury, and I'm only in seven thousandth place. But hopefully my trades will keep me in the top half of the world rankings. That's my ultimate goal, even if I eventually lose to Julie (who is usually very good at picking players and minding the budget) I just want to at least make a good showing in the world ranking. I think it's really cool that I'm ranked against football managers from Singapore to Birmingham. It makes things so much more interesting.

I've resurrected the name of my team from the old Telegraph days, but the players are not same. All is well though, these players are at least keeping me ahead of Jules.

So this is where I introduce you to...The Coat Racks Reunited. Mind you, they were only known as the Coat Racks at Telegraph. But I thought I'd add the Reunited bit to make a pun. Anyway...

The Coat Racks Reunited (using a 4-4-2 formation)
El Hadji
Darren Bent

Robert Pires
Claudio Reyna
Muzzy Izzet
Trevor Sinclair

Kolo Toure
Ledley King
Mikael Silvestre
Renato Paulo Ferreira

Nigel Martyn minding the goal

Jose Mourinho managing

So there's my team at the moment. Claudio was my most recent transfer as Stewart Downing went injured in the last week. And I had to tranfer out Solskjaer straight away in the first month because he wasn't playing any games and now he's gone injured. I placed Darrent Bent as a substitute and he's been working out well. Ledley King. I've been hesitant in transferring him because he is due back from injury any week now. Plus newer injuries are popping up that are more urgent. So Ledley is still on the team, but he may go at next month's transfer.

The thing that made Telegraph so great was that you could keep 2 or 3 players on the bench to make the most of the games that were being played on any given week and to tend to the injured. But Fantasy Manager here doesn't do that. You get exactly the number of players as there are on the field, no more. It makes things more difficult.

I'll try to keep you posted on my standings and any transfers that may happen from now till the end of the season. In the meantime, I've added a link to Football365 in case you were thinking about taking up hooliganism as a side project.

No comments: