Friday, September 09, 2005

Public Service Announcement #1

I just wanted to take some time to ask anyone and everyone to make a donation to benefit those affected by the hurricane, if you have not already done so.

But most importantly - don't forget about the pets! Rescue efforts are still ongoing at this very moment to recover abandoned animals. Having 2 cats myself, I don't think I could leave Felony behind. But if I did, I can only imagine how scared, hungry and thirsty he would be by now. Plus, he has a medical condition. If you are a pet owner and happen to have extra supplies, animal shelters are in need of food, water, blankets, collars and toys for the immediate influx of pets that are being taken in. Monetary donations are also needed. Pet stores are beginning to sell special collars to raise money for the cause (they are kind of like those LIVE STRONG bracelets). Call your local Humane Society or ASPCA for information on what you can do.

I can only hope that the animals will be reunited with their owners who have otherwise lost everything.

Well folks, that's my do-goodery of the day. Have a great weekend.

1 comment:

Hollipop said...

Watching the pet issue has upset me so much. I've been fuming since the night it happened. I couldn't leave our guys behind, either.

One of my cats lived through a 100% loss fire, the day before a bad icestorm. It took us two weeks to find him. We were beginning to think that he had died, but we were hopeful because we had thought he was outside that night (I think his reaction proved that he was inside, though.) Lo and behold he turned up, skinny, smelly, cold and terrified, still crawling around in the shell of the house.

He was never the same after that. He had panic attacks for years until he passed. Out of no where, he would claw into a chair, his eyes would go wide and just scream and howl, totally inconsolable. He was just that traumatized.

Every time I see one of those pets on the news it makes me think of him, and how scared he was, and how long term the effects were. Those animals need help just as much as the people.