Thursday, October 06, 2005

Operation Surprise Birthday Present is in Progress

OK, I just made an appointment with Gary to come out next Thursday to detail Joe's car. I had apprehension when he said he operates by appointment out of his vehicle. But then after talking to him for about 10 minutes, I felt like he was a real professional and that he wouldn't screw up Joe's car like the windshield repair guy did. Did I tell you that story?

When we went to the beach, a pebble flew out of an SUV and chipped Joe's windshield. (All SUV's should have mud flaps!!) I think he almost cried. Anyway, he got Safelite or a similar windshield repair company to come out to fix it. Wouldn't you know that the guy sprays solvent onto the windshield and then puts the can directly onto the hood of the car! There was a ring on the hood after that, the solvent must've bubbled up the paint. I think Joe almost cried for the second time over his car. He eventually got the ring buffed out, but that was probably the last time he'd trust some guy with his car.

So I asked Gary if he had any references. He said that he details the Budweiser trucks at the distribution center and that he also details the cars on the Mercedes lot behind Saturn. So I guess that means he's good. If a car dealer can trust him with his Mercedes and a few Jags, then hey, I guess I can trust him too.

The fact that Joe doesn't read this is good, otherwise my surprise would be totally ruined. I will unfortunately be in Boston on business that day so I won't get his reaction until Friday morning. I hope he likes it. Can someone take a picture of his happy face for me?

No comments: