Friday, October 14, 2005

It's Boston Tea Party, Not Boston Birthday Party

I woke up yesterday morning at 4:30. I had to make a flight out to Boston by 6:45 so I had to get out of my cozy bed. I wasn't thrilled about it. It was chilly and rainy and dark. And that's not really conducive to waking up.

Anyway, I drove all the way out Harrisburg, boarded a tiny plane with seats enough for 36 people and landed in Logan by 8.30 am. Still not really happy to be awake. Before I got into a cab, I called Joe at work. It was his birthday. I just wanted to let him know that I landed safely and was ready to take a cab into the city. He told me it was still raining and that it would probably rain all day. Bummer. I guess he won't get his car detailed after all. Good thing I stopped by the dealership the day before to pick up valve stem covers and an emergency triangle. He thought the valve stem covers made his car look really cool. OK.

I spent the day in a fancy building meeting my co-workers for the first time. That was actually nice. To put a face to a name is much better than talking to someone for months that you've never met in person. We all sat in a room talking about our plans for the rest of the year. We took an historic trolley tour of the city, which was alright even though I've been to Boston many times before. And then we ate dinner at the Elephant & Castle. I know, I know. Who decided on the Elephant & Castle? There's already one in Harrisburg, I didn't have to go all the way to Boston to eat lamb stew.

Can someone tell me why there are 2 Dunkin Donuts on every block in the city? That's a little obsessive about donuts, don't you think?

The nice part was that I got to the airport and saw that the last direct flight was delayed. I had time to switch my late layover flight to this earlier direct flight and actually got home 2 or 3 hours earlier than scheduled. I even had time to visit Joe at band practice. So I felt like I didn't miss his birthday entirely after all. And that put a smile on my rashy face.

No comments: