Monday, June 05, 2006

Language of Origin and Root Words

I will admit right up front that I would have been knocked out of the very early rounds of this year's national spelling bee. They aren't what they use to be back when I was in grade school. Nowadays, spelling bees are heavy on the medical jargon and foreign words adapted into the English language. Take for example the winning word and the 2nd place word: ursprache and weltschmerz. Both German words that have no English equivalents. I mean, they would have never done that 15 years ago. Words that I had to spell seem elementary compared. One time I actually won on the word "generosity". Way too easy compared to these spelling superheroes.

The passively competitive edge in me really wants to read up on some difficult words so I can feel like an 8th grader again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»