Monday, June 12, 2006

Let the Bounties Begin!!

I always liked international sports competition. I love the idea of pitting nation against nation in a non political way. Y'know? Love the Olympics. I remember cutting pieces of paper and sharpening my crayons to make flags of the countries that marched in the opening ceremonies.

And so too do I feel excitement when the World Cup comes around. I get all jittery when a country's hopes and dreams come down to one penalty kick. And all the pressure that kicker has on his shoulders can be unbearable, to the point where I feel bad for the guy that misses it. You know deep down in your heart that not only did he lose the game for the team, he also lost the game for a whole country.

And that's where the world talley of bounties rises. Let's face it, players have mysteriously died after losing games. And somewhere in a dark alley, bounty killers are making a buck. No one in the neighborhood wants to give up information on someone's offing. Noooo way.

I'll be keeping tabs on the South American teams during this competition. And keeping my fingers crossed that none of their games will have to come to a sudden death shoot out. Because it could indeed be sudden death for them, one way or another.

No comments: