Friday, December 16, 2005

There's a Sheet of Ice on the Parking Lot

Whenever the weather gets bad in the winter, people have the compulsion to go to the grocery store. The joke is that they go to stock up on milk and bread before they get snowed in, not knowing that milk and bread make nothing in the kitchen except soggy bread. A long shot would be french toast if you have eggs and electricity. The truth is that people actually do go to the grocery store...in droves. And they crowd the dairy aisle like there's no tomorrow.

Well last night was one of those nights. The forecast called for snow and ice and sleet and everything else in between. And I had to go to the grocery store. Thursday is my normal grocery store day anyway and I had to debate whether to go as part of my routine or to postpone until another day, just for the sake of sanity.

I decided not to betray my routine, as I often wind up in disaster if things don't go according to plan. So I left work early to get ahead on the wild traffic that would inevitably ensue, which of course backfired on me. It was everyone else's idea to leave work early as well and it took me nearly 40 minutes just to leave the city. It had been snowing for much of the day and it had just turned into ice before sundown, so traffic was incredibly slow moving. I decided to play it safe and stay in the right lane, I will not gamble with my life just to get to Giant earlier. By the time I passed Lewisberry, the ice was now rain and cars were a little more willing to drive faster. I made it to Giant by 6.30.

I think my decision for safety also got me there without major incident. Part of the reason I decide to go grocery shopping was because I was out of gas too. Knowing that I had to sit idle for much of my commute made me nervous, I hoped that I had enough fuel to at least make it there. So I decided to drive without turning the heat on. Yeah, seems drastic but the needle was actually on the last line and I had a slow 25 miles to go. Sure there were gas stations along the way but I didn't want to pull off and then contend with jerks who wouldn't let me back on the highway. Amazing, the needle stayed on the line the whole way to Queen St. I was lucky.

Of course I get to Giant and the place hasn't been plowed and no one put salt on the parking lot. So I practically ice skated from my car to the front door. But once inside I was amazed. Hardly anyone inside. I must've come late enough to have the huge crowds already checked out. I was able to get everything I needed, gas up, and get home in one piece. I don't highly recommend it, but if you have to go to the grocery store during a winter storm, I suggest going well after the snow has already started falling. And also go out and buy something other than milk and bread.

1 comment:

Thuy said...

Yeah! When it gets a little snow here, the grocery stores are all out of bread, milk and toilet papers!