Thursday, October 25, 2007

Foreigner in My Own Country: At the Courthouse

I've decided to start a new regular post named "Foreigner in My Own Country" to keep track of the stupid things people say to me related to my race/ heritage. I'm not going to bother going back in time and recount all the stupid stuff, you can ask Joe if you are interested. I'm going to start with today and see how this goes.

This morning, Joe and I went to the courthouse to apply for passports. At 8 am, there's a large influx of people coming in: early birders trying to get shit done and employees coming in for the daily grind. At the front door, one security guard was taping a sign on the door. Something about the naturalization ceremony being moved/ changed/ canceled/ whatever. Of course, of the crowd of people at the door he stops me and asks whether I was there for the naturalization ceremony.

Now, I know what I look like. But do you honestly think any person that isn't white is there for the naturalization ceremony? Why did he ask me of all people?

No comments: