Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Notes on the Last Harry Potter Book (Spoiler Alert!)

Before reading, here were my predictions for the 2 main characters that would die:
1. Voldemort. If he didn't die, the books should go on. No point in stopping.
2. The last book has always been about whether Harry lives or dies. So Harry was my top choice.
OR
Snape: it would totally explain whether he's a good guy or a bad guy. And since he killed Dumbledore when he was so trusted, there would be some 'splaining to do
OR
Ginny: if the only power that Harry has that Voldemort doesn't have is love, then does Ginny make the ultimate sacrifice to vanquish Harry's enemy?

The following is a list of reactions during and after I read the last Harry Potter:

-First and foremost, the revelation of Snape was the best part of all the books. I love how his story was revealed after all the debating in the previous books. It was done so so well. I think his love for Lily really made his death (or the reason for his life) so poignant. I also think his doe patronus is so sad. Best part ever!

-I'm ticked off they never explain the veil. It shows up, Sirius falls through it, and that's it?? No explanation?!

-The Battle at Hogwarts reminded me of the Battle at Helms Deep from Lord of the Rings. It was so fast paced, I was frantically trying to read faster.

-The last chapter was lame. Why did she write the end like that? It only made me want to know what happened to everyone. Like what happened to Luna and her dad, Kreacher, Cho Chang? How does George manage without Fred?

-Wouldn't it have made sense to tell Neville that he could have been The Chosen One? It would have steeled his determination and made more sense how he all the sudden got up enough courage. And does anyone else think he deserved to kill Bellatrix?

-Could someone please tell me how the Elder Wand thing works? I'm confused.

-Giving Draco short term ownership of the elder wand was better than I expected for his character. I was afraid he was just a school bully.

-Dobby's burial was a little over-dramatic.

No comments: