Wednesday, March 28, 2007

This Day in History

Today marks the anniversary of the Three Mile Island Nuclear Incident. I wasn't even one year old and my dad tells me he whisked me away to another state (I think New York) to protect me from whatever it was that was a threat.

It surprises me how close the nuclear plant is to home. On clear days, you can see it from the South Bridge (I think. Can someone verify that for me?). It was only 7 years later that the Chernobyl meltdown occurs that we can only imagine what could have been.

Here is a link I came across several years ago that a woman posted online that documents her trip through Chernobyl in present day. Nothing has been disturbed since the population evacuated. A sort-of time capsule of how people lived there at the time. It's interesting to note that this woman took her trip by motorcycle and took special equipment to warn her of radiation exposure.

Ghost Town- Chernobyl Pictures

No comments: